- Can I apply for the Associate Degree Programme?
- What language will be used in class?
- Is the qualification of Associate Degree recognized in Hong Kong?
- Where can I obtain the programme prospectus and application form?
- Are there any information talks about the Associate Degree Programme?
- Do I have to attend any selection interview?
- What is the tuition fee for the Associate Degree Programme?
- Are there any scholarships and bursaries available?
- Can I apply for financial assistance from the government?
- Can I apply for exemptions for the courses I have studied?
- Are there any graduation requirements for the Associate Degree Programme?
- If I failed a course, would I fail the Programme?
- What is the career prospect after graduating from this Programme?
- Will I have the opportunity to further my studies after completing the Associate Degree Programme?
- Do you have any connection with other overseas universities?
- What is the standard of these overseas universities?
- What are the tuition fees of these overseas universities?
- What is the actual standing of Associate Degree (AD) in the academic field?
- Has HKBU Associate Degree Programme gone through any accreditation?
- Are there any figures to show the future path of your Associate Degree graduates?
1. Can I apply for the Associate Degree Programme?
The minimum admission requirements for the Associate Degree Programme are as follows:
- Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE): Level 2 in five subjects* (including Chinese Language and English Language); or
- Hong Kong A-Level (HKAL): 1 pass in A-Level subject or 2 passes in AS-Level subjects, and 3 passes in HKCEE plus Level 2 or above in Chinese Language and English Language; or
- Satisfactory completion of a Pre-Associate Degree/Associate Degree Foundation Programme; or
- Satisfactory completion of the Yi Jin Diploma; or
- Other equivalent qualifications to be assessed by CIE; or
- Applicants aged 21 or above with acceptable qualifications to justify admission
* A DSE Applicant is allowed to use not more than two Applied Learning subjects in the application.
- “Attained” in an Applied Learning subject is considered to have achieved “Level 2” and
- “Attained with Distinction” in an Applied Learning subject is considered to have achieved “Level 3”
2. What language will be used in class?
English is used as the medium of instruction except for Chinese language and cultural subjects. There are Chinese language courses designed particularly for students with non-Chinese cultural background.Top
3. Is the qualification of Associate Degree recognized in Hong Kong?
As announced by the Hong Kong SAR Government in June 2001, Associate Degree is recognized as equivalent to the Higher Diploma in Hong Kong. It entitles Associate Degree holders to apply for government posts requiring a Higher Diploma qualification.Top
4. Where can I obtain the programme prospectus and application form?
The programme prospectus and application form are available at the following offices during the admission period (May to August 2013):
- 2/F, Franki Centre, 320 Junction Road, Kowloon Tong, Kowloon
- 4/F, David C. Lam Building, Shaw Campus, Hong Kong Baptist University, 34 Renfrew Road, Kowloon Tong, Kowloon
- 8/F, Madam Chan Wu Wan Kwai SCE Tower, Hong Kong Baptist University, 9 Baptist University Road, Kowloon Tong, Kowloon
- Hong Kong Baptist University Shek Mun Campus, 8 On Muk Street, Shek Mun, Shatin
- 4/F, 136A Nathan Road, Tsimshatsui
- 6/F, 8 Hart Avenue, Tsimshatsui
- 8/F, Millennium City 3, 370 Kwun Tong Road, Kowloon
- 26/F, Wu Chung House, 213 Queen’s Road East, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
Applicants may also submit their application through CIE Online Application System or download the application form from our website.Top
5. Are there any information talks about the Associate Degree Programme?
Yes, Academic Consultation and Information Talks will be held in June and July. Students applying for Associate Degree Programme should bring along the originals and photocopies of their academic qualifications to attend. Interview for Associate Degree Programme in Music Studies, Sport and Recreation Studies, and Visual Arts will be arranged separately. Applicants will be notified of the interview schedule.
Please click here for the latest details of information talks.Top
6. Do I have to attend any selection interview?
Applicants may be invited to attend an interview. The interview will be conducted in English.Top
7. What is the tuition fee for the Associate Degree Programme?
HK$48,750 per academic year (local students)
HK$62,000 per academic year (non-local students)*
* Subject to University approvalTop
8. Are there any scholarships and bursaries available?
The College has a scholarship and bursary fund to recognize Associate Degree students with outstanding achievements and assist those with financial difficulties. The amount of each award ranges from HK$3,000 to HK$15,000. Scholarships are bestowed on the selected recipients on the basis of academic merits or other criteria as set out by the College or donors. Please visit the College website for details of scholarships and bursaries.Top
9. Can I apply for financial assistance from the government?
The following government financial assistance schemes are available:
- Financial Assistance Scheme for Post-secondary students (FASP)
- Non-means Tested Loan Scheme for Post-secondary students (NLSPS)
- Student Travel Subsidy for Tertiary Students
For further information, please visit the website of the Student Financial Assistance Agency (SFAA) at http://www.sfaa.gov.hk
Some courses offered by the College have been included in the reimbursable courses for Continuing Education Fund purpose. Please refer to http://www.sfaa.gov.hk/cef for details.Top
10. Can I apply for exemptions for the courses I have studied?
There is no exemption in the Associate Degree Programme. Student must complete a minimum of 62 units in order to complete the Programme.Top
11. Are there any graduation requirements for the Associate Degree Programme?
Students (2012/13 intake and onward) must complete the following requirements in order to graduate from the Associate Degree Programme:
- Successful completion of 62 units of study; and
- Attainment of a minimum of GPA 2.0 for three English courses.
12. If I failed a course, would I fail the Programme?
In case a student could not obtain a pass in a course, he/she would be allowed to re-take that course.Top
13. What is the career prospect after graduating from this Programme?
Many jobs welcome the applications by Associate Degree holders.
The Government has taken the lead in announcing the acceptance of the qualifications of Associate Degree as one of the entry requirements for appointment to 18 civil service grades, including Ambulance Officer, Analyst/Programmer II, Assistant Information Officer (General and Photo), Assistant Leisure Services Manager II, Dispenser, Health Inspector II, Immigration Officer, Industrial Officer (Correctional Services), Inspector of Customs and Excise, Inspector of Police, Occupational Safety Officer II, Officer (Correctional Services), Operations Officer (Airworthiness), Station Officer (Operational) and Police Translator II, Statistical Officer II, Survey Officer (Engineering and Land) and Transport Services Officer II). The starting salaries range from $14,935 to $30,665. Details are obtainable from the section of "Recognition of Qualification" in the Information Portal for Accredited Self-financing Post-secondary Programmes homepage (http://www.ipass.gov.hk/eng/reg_civil.aspx).Top
14. Will I have the opportunity to further my studies after completing the Associate Degree Programme?
Yes, students can further their studies after completion of the Associate Degree Programme via the following routes:
- UGC-funded undergraduate programmes in local institutions through the Non-JUPAS Admissions Scheme
- HKBU self-funded undergraduate programmes (2-year full-time):
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Creative Writing for Films Television and New Media
- Bachelor of Arts in Liberal and Cultural Studies
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Music Studies
- Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) in Accountancy
- Bachelor of Commerce in Human Resources Management
- Bachelor of Commerce in Marketing
- Bachelor of Social Sciences (Honours) in Psychology
- Bachelor of Social Sciences (Honours) in Social Policy
- Bachelor of Social Sciences in Integrated Communication Management
- Bachelor of Social Sciences in Sport and Recreation Leadership
Please click here for information of undergraduate programmes.
15. Do you have any connection with other overseas universities?
Yes, the College of International Education has made articulation with a number of overseas universities. Students may apply for direct admission to the final 2 years of undergraduate studies at these partnered universities. Our partnered universities include:Top
16. What is the standard of these overseas universities?
The universities with which we have articulation are universities with a standard above average and are also recognized by their local government.Top
17. What are the tuition fees of these overseas universities?
Tuition fees of these overseas universities vary from one to another. Determining factors include the choice of country, university, faculty, and location of campus, etc. The following table is a general reference:
|Countries||Range of Annual Tuition Fee|
|Australia||AD$11000 - AD$21000|
|New Zealand||NZD$22000 - NZD$32000|
|Canada||CAD$16000 - CAD$21000|
|UK||￡11000 - ￡16000|
|US||US$19000 - US$29000|
Other expenses include registration fee, computer laboratory fee, etc. Different countries, location of campus and types of accommodation also account for the differences in the cost of living.Top
18. What is the actual standing of Associate Degree (AD) in the academic field?
The United States of America has been offering AD for years. The 2-year AD Programme is equivalent to the first two years of the 4-year university degree. The actual standing of AD is highly recognized in the academic field.Top
19. Has HKBU Associate Degree Programme gone through any accreditation?
Our AD Programme has gone through a vigorous accreditation process and was approved by the Senate of HKBU. Consistent review exercise is regularly performed to ensure the teaching, learning and assessment of the Programme are in good quality and are up to standard.Top
20. Are there any figures to show the future path of your Associate Degree graduates?