Dr. Alvin Tang
Academic Co-ordinator and Lecturer, Tree Management, Division of Applied Science
Teaching AreasCourse(s) taught:
- ELSS2103 Internship for Environment, Conservation and Ecotourism
- GRMG2101 Soil Science and Plants
- TCSU2100 Sustainable Communities and the Environment
- TRMG2100 Introduction to Tree Management
- TRMG2101 Tree Identification
- TSCS2101 Food Revolution and Lifestyle
- TRMG2102 Tree Planting and Maintenance
- TRMG2103 Tree Risk Management
- Fungal taxonomy and ecology
- Plant disease and control
- Poisonous mushroom
- Science Literacy
- Tree management
- Certified Arborist, the International Society of Arboriculture
- Tree Risk Assessment Qualification, the International Society of Arboriculture
- Senwanna, C., Mapook, A., Samarakoon, M.C., Karunarathna, A., Wang, Y., Tang, A.M.C., Haituk, S., Suwannarach, N., Hyde, K.D., Cheewangkoon, R. (2021). Ascomycetes on Para rubber (Hevea brasiliensis). Mycosphere 12(1): 1230-1408. Doi: 10.5943/mycosphere/12/1/18
- Lee, C.H.Y., Tang, A.M.C., Lai, D.Y.F., Tai, A.P.K., Leung, A.S.L., Tao, D.K.C., Leung, F., Leung, S.S.M., Wu, C. Tong, S.C.S., Ng, K.T.K. (2021). Problems and Management of Acacia-Dominated Urban Forests on Man-Made Slopes in a Subtropical, High-Density City. Forests. 2021; 12(3):323.
- Bundhun, D., Jeewon, R., Senanayake, I.C., Camporesi, E., Aluthmuhandiram, J.VS., Tang, A.M.C., Kang, J.C., Bhoyroo, V., Hyde, K.D. (2021). Morpho-molecular characterization of Discosia ravennica sp. nov. and a new host record for Sporocadus rosigena. MycoKeys 79: 173-192.
- Stewart, J. E. Kim, M.S. Ota, Y., Sahashi, N., Hanna, J. W., Akiba, M., Ata, J. P., Atibalentja, N. Brooks, F. Chung, C.L., Dann, E. K., Mohd Farid, A., Hattori, T., Lee, S. S., Otto, K. Pegg, G. S., Schlub, R. L., Shuey, L. S., Tang, A. M. C., Tsai, J.-N., Cannon, P. G., Klopfenstein, N. B. (2020). Phylogenetic and population genetic analyses reveal three distinct lineages of the invasive brown root-rot pathogen, Phellinus noxius, and bioclimatic modeling predicts differences in associated climate niches. European Journal of Plant Pathology https://doi.org/10.1007/s10658-019-01926-5
- Senwanna, C., Wanasinghe, D.N., Bulgakov, T.S., Wang, Y., Bhat, D.J., Tang, A.M.C., Mortimer, P.E., Xu, J., Hyde, K.D. and Phookamsak, R. (2019). Towards a natural classification of Dothidotthia and Thyrostroma in Dothidotthiaceae. Mycosphere 10: 701–738.
- Qiu, Q., Qin, R., Lam, J.H.M., Tang, A.M.C., Leung, M.W.K., Lau, D. (2019). An innovative tomographic technique integrated with acoustic-laser approach for detecting defects in tree trunk. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 156: 129-137.
- Tibpromma, S., Hyde, K.D., McKenzie, E.H.C., Bhat, D.J., Phillips, A.J.L., Wanasinghe, D.N., Samarakoon, M.C., Jayawardena, R.S., Dissanayake, A.J., Tennakoon, D.S., Doilom, M., Phookamsak, R., Tang, A.M.C., Xu, J., Mortimer, P.E., Promputtha, I., Maharachchikumbura, S.S.N., Khan, S., Karunarathna, S.C. (2018). Fungal diversity notes 840–928: micro-fungi associated with Pandanaceae. Fungal Diversity 93: 1-160.
- Qiu, Q., Qin, R., Lam, J.H.M., Tang, A.M.C., Leung, M.W.K., Lau, D. (2018). Health assessment of tree trunk by using acoustic-laser technique and sonic tomography. Wood Science and Technology 52: 1113-1132.
- Regal, J.R., Tang, A.M.C., Schubert, M., Lam, R.Y.C., Chu, L.M., Leung, M.W.K., Kwan, H.S., Schwarze, F.W.M.R. (2016). In-vitro evaluation of an antagonistic Trichoderma strain for eradicating Phellinus noxius in colonised wood. Journal of Tropical Forest Science 28: 457-468.
- Tang, A.M.C., Chu, P.P.L., Leung, M.W.K., Chu, L.M., Liao, W.H. (2016). Evaluating wood strength properties of subtropical urban trees using fractometer II. Journal of Tropical Forest Science 28: 149-159.
- 鄧銘澤 (2016) 。《一菇一世界: 菇菌趣味新知》。郊野公園之友及天地圖書。
Professional / Community Services
- Advisor to the Highways Department on the application of soil amendments and biologicals to old and valuable trees.
- Advisor to the Toxicology Reference Laboratory, Hospital Authority, on poisonous mushroom identification.
- Contributor (by invitation from AFCD) to the Hong Kong Biodiversity Information Hub (HKBIH) in the area of fungal diversity.
- “Application of Soil Amendments and Biologicals to Old and Valuable Trees” awarded by the Highways Department (Hy(S)/156/2021) (2021 - 2023)
- "Health Literacy and Health Behaviors among University Students during the COVID-19 Pandemic" awarded by SGF Pilot Project Grant in Environment and Human Health 2021, School of Continuing Education, HK Baptist University (2021-2022) (Amount: $90,000)
- "Study on the Use of Biologicals and Soil Amendments to Brown Root Rot Infected Trees" (Hy(S)Q/079/2019) (2019 - 2021)
- "Provision of Laboratory Services and Analysis for the Nematodes and Fungus in Pinus elliottii Specimens and Associated Soil" awarded by the Highways Department (Hy(S) Q/052/2018) (2018-2019)
- "Environmental Performance Evaluation and Pathological Assessment of Acacia Slopes" awarded by the Highways Department (Hy(S) Q/026/2018) (2018-2020)
- "The Provision of Services to Design and Implement a Programme in "Project on QF Promotion for Industries in Schools" (Arboriculture & Horticulture Industry)" awarded by Qualification Framework Secretariat (VTC/18SC/18/145(A) (2018-2019)
- "The Provision of Services to Design and Implement a Programme in "Project on QF Promotion for Industries in Schools" (Arboriculture & Horticulture Industry)" awarded by Qualification Framework Secretariat (VTC/18SC/17/221 (A) (2017-2018)
- "Development of Defect Monitoring Device for Tree Preservation" awarded by the Innovation and Technology Commission (ITS:116/15) (2016-2018) (Amount: $809,000)