Dr. Emma Zhang
Lecturer, English, Division of Arts and Languages
Teaching AreasCourse(s) taught:
- CLCC2204 Literary Appreciation
- CCLC1201/CCLC1202 English Academic Writing I/II
- CCLC2205 Reading Contemporary Worlds
- TCCU2200 Creative Expressions Across Cultures
- Contemporary Chinese American Literature
- Comparative Literary Study
- Comparative Mythology
- Virtual Exchange and E-learning
- Zhang, H.E. (2021, Jun. 20). The Anglo-Saxon Period: Where it all begins. History of English Literature Lecture Series, Daath Voyage. Assam Don Bosco University, Assam & Karim City College, Jamshedpur, Jharkhand, India.
- Zhang, H.E. (2021, Jun. 11). Implementation of virtual exchange and student participation, Challenges and Opportunities in the 21st Century, HKBU SCE Annual Research Symposium 2021.
- Zhang, H.E. (2021, Jun. 08). Flood Myths and Domination: A comparison of the flood myths in Chinese and Abrahamic traditions. Myths in the ancient and modern world, II. International Symposium & Exhibition on Mythology, Ardahan University Ardahan, Turkey.
- Zhang, H. E. (2021, May 17). "Does China’s Covid-19 success show that democracy has passed its use-by date?". MercatorNet
- Zhang, H. E. (2021, Apr. 03). The Realist School: The History of American Literature 1865-1900. The History of American Literature Lecture Series. Organized by Assam Don Bosco University, Assam, India.
- Zhang, H. E. (2021, Mar. 02). Dissected by Theory: A Review of C.T. Au’s The Hong Kong Modernism of Leung Ping-kwan. Cha: An Asian Literary Journal, chajournal.blog/2021/03/02/leung-ping-kwan/.
- Zhang, H.E. (2021, Jan. 10). Review of China : In Life’s Foreground. Hong Kong Review of Books
- Zhang, H.E. (2021, Jan. 8). "Enhance Language Learning and Cross-cultural Exchange through Virtual Exchange". Continuing Professional Development International Conference 2021, HKCPD Hub.
- Zhang, H. E. (2020, Dec. 27). Visualizing the World: The Graeco-Roman Worldview. History of Ideas Lecture Series. Co-organized by Assam Don Bosco University, Guwahati, Assam, India. and Karim City College, Jamshedpur, Jharkhand. India.
- Zhang, H. E. (2020, Dec.). "The Taming of the White Snake: The oppression of female sexuality in the Legend of the White Snake." Ex-Position, Issue 44, pp. 103-125. DOI: 10.6153/EXP.202012(44).0005.
- Zhang, H. E. (2020, Dec. 12). "A Terrible Beauty is Born: Re-imagining Nezha’s Oedipal Revolt". Floating City: International Conference on Xi Xi, EDUHK.
- Zhang, H. E. (2020, Nov. 8). "Small is Beautiful: the short story in Chinese literature". Hong Kong International Literary Festival 2020. Moderator.
- Zhang, H.E. (2020, Aug. 20). "The World for One Family: A review of Jung Chang’s Big Sister, Little Sister, Red Sister." Cha: An Asian Literary Journal
- Zhang, H. E. (2020, Jul. 30). "Coping with COVID-19 Creatively – Perspectives from Tertiary Students". Writing COVID-19, Cha Reading Series, Zoom Event.
- Zhang, H. E. (2020, Jul. 28). "From Snake Goddess to Confucian Wife". English Lecture Series, A.P.C. Mahalaxmi College for Women, Thoothukudi, India. Zoom conference.
- Zhang, H. E. (2020, Jul. 2). "Paralysis of Leadership and Silencing of the Public: A review of Fang Fang’s Wuhan Diary: Dispatches from a Quarantined City". MercatorNet
- Zhang, H. E. (2020, Jul. 2). "Transnational Space - A Biography of Hong Kong in Biographies". Hong Kong & Elsewhere - Hong Kong Studies Symposium, Zoom conference.
- Zhang, H. E. (2020, Jun. 6). "Oedipus in China – Patricidal Rage Tamed by Confucian Ethics". GNOSIS English Lecture Series 2020, Team Gnosis, West Bengal, India. Zoom conference.
- Zhang, H. E. (2020, May 12). "State Surveillance and COVID-19". Internet Censorship and State Surveillance Systems, Cha Reading Series, Zoom Event.
- Zhang, H. E. (2020, May). "Children of Tiananmen: A Review of Karoline Kan’s Under Red Skies: Three Generations of Life, Loss and Hope in China". Cha: An Asian Literary Journal
- Zhang, H. E. (2020, Apr. 20). "The Authoritarian Virus – A Review of On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from Twentieth Century by Timothy Snyder". MercatorNet
- Zhang, H. E. (2020, Mar.). "A Spectre Is Haunting Asia and Beyond - A Review of Maoism: A Global History by Julia Lovell". Cha: An Asian Literary Journal
- Zhang, H. E. (2020, Feb. 13). "Caging Leviathan – A Review of Permanent Record by Edward Snowden". MercatorNet
- Zhang, H. E. (2020, Jan. 15). "Hail, beloved fearless leaders! A Review of Frank Dikotter’s How to be a Dictator". MercatorNet
- Zhang, H.E. (2019, Aug.). The Deluge and the Foundations of Civilizations: A comparison of the flood myths in Chinese and Western cultures. ICLA Congress 2019. University of Macau, Macau.
- Zhang, H. E. (2019, Jul.). "Techno Dystopia: A Review of Ka-Fu Lee’s Ai Super-Powers: China, Silicon Valley, And the New World Order"Cha: An Asian Literary Journal
- Zhang, H. E. (2019, Jun.). "Brave New China: A Review of Zak Dychtwald’s Young China:How the Restless Generation Will Change Their Country and the World". Cha: An Asian Literary Journal
- Zhang, H. E. (2019, Apr.). "Man of Letters: A Review of Ha Jin’s Banished Immortal: A Life of Li Bai ". Cha: An Asian Literary Journal
- “Enhance Cross-cultural Understanding through Virtual Exchange” awarded by Hong Kong Baptist University School of Continuing Education Seed Grant Funding Scheme 2019/20 (Application no. SCE/SGF/1920/05) (2020) (Amount: HK$ 26,904)