Dr. Chow Ka-lai 周嘉麗博士
Programme Director of the Bachelor of Social Sciences (Honours) in Environment and Resources Management; Lecturer I, Department of Geography, Faculty of Social Sciences
Teaching AreasCourse(s) taught:
- ERMT3105Environmental Biotechnology
- ERMT3115Environmental Pollution and Toxicology
- ERMT3125Internship for Environment and Resources Management
- ERMT3055Laboratory Environmental Analysis
- ERMT4145Integrated Waste Management
- ERMT4165The Pearl River Delta: An Environmental Survey (team teaching)
- Environmental health
- Sewage treatment
- Environmental remediation of emerging chemicals
- Yang, X., Man, Y.B., Wong, M.H., Owen, R.B., & Chow, K.L.* (2022). Environmental health impacts of microplastics exposure on structural organization levels in the human body. Science of The Total Environment, 154025.
- Wong, J.T.F.#, Chow, K.L.#, Chen, X.W., Ng, C.W.W., & Wong, M.H. (2022). Effects of biochar on soil water retention curves of compacted clay during wetting and drying. Biochar, 4(1), 1-14.
- Man, Y.B.#, Chow, K.L.#, Zhang, F., Lei, K.M., Leung, A.O.W., Mo, W.Y., & Wong, M. H. (2021). Protecting water birds of wetlands: Using toxicological tests and ecological risk assessment, based on metal/loid (s) of water, sediment and biota samples. Science of The Total Environment, 778, 146317.
- Man, KY., Chow, K.L., Man, Y.B., Mo, W.Y., & Wong, M.H. (2021). Use of biochar as feed supplements for animal farming. Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology, 1-31.
- Man, Y.B., Zhang, F., Ma, K.L., Mo, W. Y., Kwan, H. S., Chow, K.L., Man, K.Y., Tsang, Y. F., Li, W.C. & Wong, M.H. (2020). Growth and intestinal microbiota of Sabah giant grouper reared on food waste-based pellets supplemented with spirulina as a growth promoter and alternative protein source. Aquaculture Reports, 18, 100553.
- Man, Y.B., Lei, K.M., Chow, K.L., Leung, A.O.W., Mo, W.Y., & Wong, M.H. (2020). Ecological risks of heavy metals/metalloid discharged from two sewage treatment works to Mai Po Ramsar site, South China. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 192(7), 1-14.
- Lin, S., Man, Y.B., Chow, K.L., Zheng, C., & Wong, M.H. (2019). Impacts of the influx of e-waste into Hong Kong after China has tightened up entry regulations. Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology, 1-30.
- Chai, Y., Li, Y., Chen, X., Zhang, J., Christie, P., Chow, K.L., Ai, C., Shan, S. (2019). Potential sources and associated risk assessment of potentially toxic elements in paddy soils of a combined urban and rural area. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 1-10.
Professional / Community Services
- Guest editor in Environmental Geochemistry and Health (EGAH), ISSN: 1573-2983.
- Editorial Board Member (Energy & Environment), SAGE Publishing, ISSN: 0958305X.
- General Research Fund (GRF), 2023-2026, (18300322). Activated carbon made from rice husks and coconut shells as feed supplement for reducing uptake of metal/loids, PAHs and PCBs by Nile tilapia. Co-Investigator.
- Environment and Conservation Fund (ECF), 2021-2023, (ECF 2020-76). Identification, characterisation, and process modification for enhancing removal efficiency of microplastics in sewage treatment works with Different Designs in Hong Kong (HK$ $1,000,000). Co-Investigator.
- Early Career Scheme (ECS), 2020-2022, (Project Number: 28300619).Vegetable-based biochar added in fish feed for lowering uptake of persistent toxic substances by grass carp (HK$ 395,424). Collaborator.